Below you will find a listing of jobs available in chaplaincy. These listings are not screened prior to posting; please take care when inquiring.
Please contact employers before submitting application materials since the status of job openings can change rapidly.
- New York, NY: Earl Hall Religious Life Fellow
Posted: April 8, 2016
The Office of the University Chaplain at Columbia University is beginning the Earl Hall Religious Life Fellow program. It is an opportunity for a seminary graduate (or its equivalent depending on candidate’s historic faith tradition) interested in college or university chaplaincy to receive training and supervision in the Office of the University Chaplain at Columbia University. The appointment will give the Earl Hall Religious Life Fellow the opportunity to discern vocational identity, claim ministerial authority, receive weekly supervision including theological reflection and develop increased competence for college or university chaplaincy by facilitating programming, offering counseling, and working in an intercultural and interfaith environment.
The Earl Hall Religious Life Fellow will report to the University Chaplain/Associate Provost/Director of Earl Hall Center on various projects. Under this supervision he/she will support the multi-faith and interfaith priorities of the Office of the University Chaplain/Earl Hall Center in the development and implementation of comprehensive programming to meet the religious and spiritual needs of the Columbia University community.
- Working closely with the University Chaplain/Associate Provost/Director of Earl Hall Center, the Religious Life Fellow assists in the development, support, execution, and evaluation of interfaith and intercultural programs consistent with the mission and priorities of the Office of the University Chaplain.
- Working closely with the University Chaplain/Associate Provost/Director of Earl Hall Center, the Religious Life Fellow assists in the design and evaluation of programs sponsored and co-sponsored by the Office of the University Chaplain and the Kraft Family Fund for Intercultural and Interfaith Awareness.
- Assists with the administrative tasks of student programming for the Office of the University Chaplain Co-Sponsorship Fund and for the Kraft Family Fund for Intercultural and Interfaith Awareness.
- Offers evening support as venue manager for events taking place in Earl Hall and/or St. Paul’s Chapel.
- Assists the Associate Director and Assistant Director & Assistant University Chaplain with the Annual Baccalaureate Service program.
- Assists the University Chaplain and Associate Director in other related projects and tasks as assigned. Also provides some administrative and programmatic support.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
Must be able to work variable evenings and weekend hours, may be asked on occasion to come in early, and cover emergencies as needed.
Master of Divinity degree from a member seminary, divinity, or Rabbinical school recognized by the Association of Theological Schools or an equivalent advanced degree in theology or religious studies from an accredited college/university, such as a certificate in Islamic studies or Islamic law (minimum 2 years); or degree in Chaplaincy with an Islamic focus. A demonstrable commitment to fostering religious pluralism in a university setting. Ability to facilitate programs and discussion groups on religious, spiritual, and social texts and issues of diverse faiths required.
At least two years’ experience in interfaith work and/or a background in higher education, and/or community leadership (experience prior to advanced degree considered). Must work evening hours and be available for some weekend hours. Must be able to be on-call and respond to university emergencies. The incumbent must be able to balance multiple priorities and projects, be sensitive in highly emotional situations, and consistently exercise discretion and excellent judgment. Must be both a team player and a self-starter. Strong computer skills are essential. Excellent communication skills, both written and oral are required.
Application Deadline: Position is opened until filled.