Top Restaurants for Wake Div Students
- Mi Pueblo – 2905 Reynolda Road: The gathering place for hungry Wake Div students on Thursday nights. It’s well priced Mexican food with great beer specials. Delicious and fun! mipueblomexgrill.com/
- Mama Zoes – 2859 Reynolda Road: Delicious Diner Conveniently Located on Reynolda Road. Cheap food, all different types of cuisine and 10% off for Wake Forest Students (just show your ID!) www.mamazoemichaels.com/Mama_Zoes_Diner/Mama_Zoe_Michaels.html
- Waldos Wings – 2855 Reynolda Road – Flavorful wings, creative craft burgers, and cold beer. There are TV’s everywhere and would be a great place to camp out while watching sports all day long. http://waldoswings.com/
- Camino Bakery – 310 W 4th Street : A place you can go to study, swoon on a date, or just to feel quasi-hipster. Great food, delicious desserts, wonderful coffee, and even better wine. What more could you ask for? www.caminobakery.com/
- Village Tavern – 221 Reynolda Village: Village Tavern has two locations, one in Reynolda Village and the other at Hanes Mall. It can be a bit on the expensive end but the food is deelish and the service is great. www.villagetavern.com/
- May Way Dumplings – 113 Reynolda Village – Serves meat, vegan options available. Small restaurant with vegetarian dishes on the menu. Specializes in cold noodle dishes and steamed buns, including vegan dessert buns. https://www.reynoldavillage.com/mayway
- Silo Bistro Bar – 114D Reynolda Village – Relaxing atmosphere with delectable paninis, fresh salads, creative lunch and dinner features, and delicious tapas to satisfy every palate. Enjoy this culture any season with indoor and outdoor seating available http://www.siloatreynolda.com/home.html
- The Old 4th Street Filling Station – 871 W 4th Street – : This restaurant has great outdoor seating for summer and a fireplace for winter. The food is higher priced, but good food. Great for classy date nights. www.theoldfourthstreetfillingstation.com/
- Burger Batch – 237 W 5th Street – Upbeat eatery for modern fast food. Trendy joint for creative concoctions such as Sriracha slaw hamburgers & cereal-topped milkshakes. https://www.yelp.com/biz/burger-batch-winston-salem
- Mary’s Gourmet Diner (formerly Breakfast of Course) – 723 Trade Street NW: BOC is the best brunch spot in Winston, hands down. They use local food, and serve some of the best breakfast you will find. The wait can get a little long on Saturdays and Sundays but worth it nonetheless! www.marysgourmetdiner.net/
- Tequila Mexican Restaurant – 2802 Reynolda Road: Tequila is located in the Reynolda Manor Shopping Center. It’s a local Mexican place with a college atmosphere. It boasts of good food and good drinks, at great prices. www.yelp.com/biz/tequila-mexican-restaurant-winston-salem
- The Carving Board – 318 S Stratford Road: If you’re feeling the desire to channel your inner fraternity or sorority self, CB is the place to be with plenty of Greek Life to go around. Located on Stratford, The Carving Board is the perfect Saturday lunch date with great sandwiches, salads, and soups. www.thecarving-board.com/
- Pane e Vino – 122 Reynolda Village: The perks of this place include walking distance from campus (so you get a nice walk and good food) and consuming some of the best grilled cheese (and other sandwiches and treats) in Winston. Located in Reynolda Village and is a great study spot when you’re wanting to be off campus. diolis.com/pane-e-vino/
- Foothills Brewing Company – 638 W 4th Street: Micro-brewery located in downtown. The pickle chips are a highlight! But the draughts are great too. Excellent pub food. Mid-level pricing. www.foothillsbrewing.com/
- Wiseman Brewing – 826 Angelo Bros Ave – A wide abundance of beer styles. Celebrate this diversity with an ever-changing lineup. They also have a food truck to meet your food taste bud needs. https://www.wisemanbrewing.com/
- Burke Street Pizza – 1140 Burke St NW: This awesome pizza place now has two locations – one on Burke Street (obviously) and one on Robinhood Road. Burke Street has the best pizza (and great prices!). www.burkestreetpizza.com/
The excellence of Winston-Salem’s restaurant options cannot be constrained by a top list, so here are some other fantastic food joints to check out!
- First Street Draught House: Located downtown, go here for the good beer selection, good food (American cuisine), and good service.www.firststreetdraughthouse.com/
- The Loop Pizza Grill: Just off Stratford Road, medium price with great pizza as well as a variety of great salads and burgers. A favorite of Wake Div third years especially. http://www.looppizzagrill.com/locations/winston-salem.aspx
- Taco Riendo 3: It may be located beside a gas station, but it is the most authentic Mexican food in Winston. Incredible find!
- Kings Crab Shack and Oyster Bar: Feel free to eat here any night as the food is delicious, but especially on Tuesday Nights where you can get $2 tacos! cheap and delicious tacos, free cornbread, and some good company? What more could you ask for!www.kingscrabshack.com/Home_Page.php
- Dioli’s: On Reynolda Road after Reynolda Manor on the left. Great sandwiches and pastries. diolis.com/
- Mozelle’s: On 4th Street downtown. Great southern cuisine. A bit pricey, but definitely worth it. mozelles.com/
- Olive Tree Deli: On South Stratford Road. Really good traditional Greek food, some American items, great tzatziki sauce! Cash only. www.theolivetree-deli.com
- Golden India: For those who like it spicy, this is a great local Indian restaurant. www.goldenindiarestaurant.net/
- La Botana: Wake Div loves their Mexican food! 25 special Vegetarian dishes as well as regional and traditional Mexican food. www.labotana-ws.com/
Your standard movie and bowling recommendations as well as Wake Div’s other favorite places to be. Listed in no particular order.
- AMF Major League Lanes: For those of you who love to bowl, AMF has great late night bowling with as well as good food and bar.
- Carmike Ten Movie: $5 student tickets! Just bring your Wake Forest ID! www.carmike.com/ShowTimes/zip/27106
- The Grand 18: Looking for a bigger movie experience, this is the other go-to theater (and it has an IMAX).www.thegrandtheatre.com/location?house_id=10079
- A/perture: A mix of independent, foreign, documentary, local, and festival films. www.aperturecinema.com/
- Winston-Salem Social Club: A favored place to hangout after Divinity School events. A great bar and games room. Just down the street from Karaoke too, should you get the itch.
- Bulls Tavern: Neighborhood bar with music and live entertainment. www.facebook.com/pages/Bulls-Tavern/460351293989732
- Break Time Billiards: Billiards hall and sports bar. www.facebook.com/pages/Breaktime-Billiards/187411531291830
- West End Tap Room: Neighborhood, full service bar, very chill with outdoor deck, games, and trivia night.
- Krankies Coffee: Fantastic local coffee served out of a standing location as well as a food truck. www.krankiescoffee.com/
- Reynolda Village: located very close to campus, Reynolda Village is a great shopping center with arts and fabric stores, as well as a number of our favorite restaurants. The park and walking trails are also great for hanging out. The Village also has a local farmers market every Friday. www.reynoldavillage.com
Below are ten organizations where some of your fellow Div Students are volunteered.
- Greensboro Urban Ministry – www.greensborourbanministry.org/
- The Shalom Project – theshalomprojectnc.org
- Winston Salem Interfaith Group – www.if-ws.org/
- El Buen Pastor – elbuenpastorlcs.org/
- Sunny Side Ministry – sunnysideministry.org/
- Crisis Control Ministry – www.crisiscontrol.org
- Samaritan Ministries – www.samaritanforsyth.org/volunteer.htm
- Second Harvest Food Bank – www.hungernwnc.org/
- Cooperative Baptist Fellowship of North Carolina – www.cbfnc.org/
- What If Everyone – whatifeveryone.com
Here are some other great opportunities:
The WFU Office of the Dean of Students can help you find other opportunities: https://deanofstudents.wfu.edu/get-involved/
Even more opportunities can be found through Hands on North Carolina: hoc.handsonnwnc.org