Director of Leadership Development and Spiritual Life, and Associate Professor of the Practice of Spirituality
Copeland teaches in the discipline of spirituality with a particular emphasis on the role of spirituality and spiritual practices in the formation of healthy, faithful, religious leaders. His scholarly interests include the the Enneagram as a tool for personal and spiritual transformation, reflected in his dissertation, Exploring Effects of the Intersection of the Enneagram and Spiritual Practices upon the Spiritual Lives of Divinity Students, as well as his podcast and book, Heart of the Enneagram. Copeland is an ordained minister, spiritual director, certified teacher of the Enneagram in the Narrative Tradition, labyrinth facilitator, and InterPlay leader.
BS, Wake Forest; MDiv, Emory; JD, Emory; DMin, San Francisco Theological Seminary
Alliance of Baptists
- Spirituality of the Enneagram
- Spirituality and Discernment
- Sabbath as Spiritual Practice
- Embodied Spirituality
- Celtic Spirituality
- Spirituality and Prayer
- 21st Century Contemplative Practices
- Worship Matters
- Children in Worship
- Worship Practicum
- Art of Ministry
Select Sermons, Educational Series, and Church Presentations
- “The Enneagram for Spiritual Care Providers.” Workshop for the office of spiritual care at UNC Health System.
- “The Enneagram and Spiritual Practices.” A workshop and retreat at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, Green Street United Methodist Church, and Knollwood Baptist Church.
- “Cultivating Compassion through the Enneagram.” A community workshop series through Wake Forest Lifelong Learning program.
- “Spiritual Dimensions of the Enneagram.” A workshop co-taught with Renee Rosario, core faculty of The Narrative Enneagram.
- Heart of the Enneagram. A podcast series and companion book designed to deepen one’s engagement with the Enneagram as a tool for transformation.
- “Embodying the Enneagram.” A retreat to engage the power of the Enneagram through embodied practices.
- “The Enneagram as a Tool for Spiritual Growth.” A workshop series at First Baptist Church on Fifth, Winston-Salem, NC.
- “Spiritual Growth through the Lens of the Enneagram.” A workshop for Stoney Creek AME Church.
- “The Enneagram for Ordained Ministry.” A training for ordination candidates for the Salem Presbytery.
- “Living into Resurrection.” A sermon on John 11 at Green Street United Methodist Church.
- “The Enneagram as a Tool for Spiritual Growth.” A workshop for the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship of North Carolina.
- “Embodied Spirituality.” A workshop for participants in the Apprehending God retreat for Christians exploring a deeper faith.
- “Worship Planning as a Spiritual Practice.” A workshop for WFUSD alums, community members, and Board of Visitors exploring the impact of designing worship through a process of intentional spiritual growth.
- “There’s No Place for Placement in Theological Education: A Holistic Approach to Career Services.” A workshop for student personnel administrators of the Association of Theological Schools.
- “The Enneagram for Team Building and Communication.” Workshops for the Offices of Advancement, Well-Being, and Financial Aid at Wake Forest University.
- “Deepening the Spiritual Life through the Enneagram and Spiritual Practices.” A multi-day workshop and retreat for First Christian Church, Winston-Salem.
- “Vocation, Leadership, and Chaplaincy.” A workshop for chaplain residents at Wake Forest Baptist Health.
- Society for the Study of Christian Spirituality
- The Narrative Enneagram, Board Member and Adjunct Faculty
- Iona Community, Associate Member
- Spiritual Directors International
- InterPlay, Certified Leader
Office: Wingate 108
The Office of Communications is responsible for communicating information regarding faculty research, programs, and other news to appropriate media sources. Faculty are available to provide comment for a story or be interviewed (recorded and/or live). To request, contact Cheryl Walker, director of news and communications for Wake Forest University.