Mission & Values
The School of Divinity at Wake Forest University is a graduate, professional school that is Christian by tradition, Baptist in heritage, and ecumenical in outlook. Consistent with Wake Forest’s commitment to academic excellence and in the spirit of the University motto, Pro Humanitate, the School of Divinity prepares leaders informed by a theological understanding of vocation. Through imaginative courses and diverse programs of community engagement, students are equipped to be agents of justice, reconciliation, and compassion in Christian churches and other ministries.
- Foster academic excellence: The divinity school faculty fosters critical scholarship across the varied disciplines of theological education through rigorous academic inquiry in the classroom and through research and publication.
- Encourage global perspectives: Through theological reflection, critical inquiry, and ministry formation, the divinity school encourages students to explore diverse religious, cultural, and ethnic perspectives within both national and international contexts.
- Embody hospitality: The School of Divinity seeks to cultivate a community of learners that celebrates diverse religious, racial, ethnic, cultural, gender, and sexual identities and that fosters accessibility for all its members.
- Nurture spiritual growth: The divinity school provides opportunities for spiritual growth and exploration of personal and communal spiritual practices.
- Collaborate with faith communities: The divinity school joins with churches and other faith communities to create opportunities for mutual learning and critical dialogue, including student internships and various forms of mentoring, consultation, community education, and shared advocacy.
- Contribute to the University’s mission: The divinity school shares in the University’s commitment to Pro Humanitate through explorations of religious identity, vocation, social responsibility, and public engagement.