The Importance of Self-Care

Published: November 25, 2015

FullSizeRender (1)As we approach the final weeks of the semester, it is without question that self-care can somewhat become secondary in a sense. From preparing for finals, just finishing the infamous research paper for Dr. Leonard’s Church History class, to just having life to deal with, self-care can be one of the last things to think about at this present time in the semester.

Second year at Wake Divinity has taught me that self-care is not something that I should strive for but something I have to do just to keep my sanity! School, church internship, and life in general made me put a lot of things into perspective and self-care was a very important piece for me. I believe taking Professor Chris Copeland’s Sabbath as a Spiritual Practice class has been very formational in developing rest and self-care. This class focuses on daily practices that center your mind and body back to where it needs to be. One of the tasks for the course is to participate in a Sabbath practice each week and journal about it. We wrote on how the practice made us feel, how the practice affected us, or how it has affected others. Doing these practices has helped me find peace in the midst of chaos in my life. I have even noticed that when I have participated in these practices I have not only rejuvenated myself but I am also better prepared to be a change-agent for others around me.

When you begin to look at self-care, it is as important as praying is for Christians and scripture shows us this clearly: There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; for anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from his. Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will fall by following his or her example of disobedience (Hebrews 4:9-11). Scripture shows that even God rested from God’s own work.

So even as we approach this stressful time with papers, tests, deadlines, holidays, and the burden of “what’s next,” let’s embrace this time with a little self-care. Take a bike ride, run, sleep, eat, over eat (not too much), and spend time with family. Honor God by honoring yourself and taking care of not only what God has given you but what God has given you to give to other people.

My mentor always tells me: “We are in the business of pouring into and restoring so many people that we forget that we also have to be poured back into, it’s a never ending cycle. Never let your cup run empty.”

Kedrick Clark
Second Year
FullSizeRender 3

Kedrick is a native of Winston-Salem, NC. He graduated from Winston-Salem State University with a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science with a Minor in Economics. Upon graduating from Wake Forest Divinity School, Kedrick plans to serve in ministry while pursuing a Doctoral degree.

Media Source: Reposted from @hailey_reed’s Instagram account