Education is Freedom from Oppression

Published: April 18, 2014

“Cameron, Why are you in Divinity School?!” “Welp… ya know… sigh… I don’t know.”

"Why we should all be educators...To protect and free these young minds from the societal imposition of limitation." (My little cousin Dennis)

“Why we should all be educators…to protect and free these young minds from the societal imposition of limitation.” (pictured: Cameron’s cousin, Dennis)

This conversation happens about once a week and is often followed by, “Well, what do you want to do when you finish?” To this I typically respond, “Be either a full-time wedding photographer, or a teacher and a part-time wedding photographer!” As you can imagine, they begin to look even more confused. Editor’s Note: Cameron has a photography business – Photos by Cameron.

I’m one of the many divinity students who do not plan to pursue the traditional expression of ministry, but plan to pursue a call either in the non-profit sector or in my case, the classroom. It wasn’t until I heard, “Education is freedom from oppression,” in Dr. Veronice Miles’ Christian Education class that I realized why I wanted to be an educator.

There are far too many children in this world who believe they drew the short end of the stick in life and that’s just the way it is. They can’t envision a world that would offer them a salary and benefits, a salute, or even respect. Rather, they expect a world that gives them ISS, marks them as “at risk” and “remedial with anger issues.” They expect to be randomly searched and accused of stealing the markers and by the time they are in fifth grade they believe all the labels they’ve been given. They become oppressed… at the age of twelve. And it seems we’re ok with it. It seems that as long as they aren’t our children, that we can continue along in the day. We may send a dollar or two to feed the children or sponsor a family for the holiday, but outside of what makes us feel good, few care to liberate the twelve-year-olds on days that are not holidays.

But… what if there was a way out? What if someone said to this twelve-year-old that instead of ISS I’m going to give you a hug because I love you and you are worthy of my love? What if someone showed this student the love of Christ? The love that first sought to understand before being understood. Would this student be liberated? Education is not freedom from oppression… Christ is. These children who are oppressed by a society of labels spend 65% of their day in a school. Become an educator and go spread the Gospel of Love.

That’s why I’m in Divinity School.

Cameron Robinsonrobiac12
Second Year

Cameron is from Goose Creek, South Carolina. He and his wife, Joy, plan to move back to South Carolina and work as educators.