This Week: October 15 - 19

Published: October 15, 2012

I received an unexpected gift last week as I made my usual trek through Wait Chapel toward the University Bookstore for afternoon coffee. As I opened the doors leading from the hallway into the chapel, I heard singing. Excellent singing. The melodies were coming from the voices of four people seated in chairs on the otherwise empty stage. Continuing on my pilgrimage through the chapel, I noted that these were lovely voices making rather wonderful music. I was about halfway back from the Bookstore to Wait Chapel when it dawned on me:  “That’s not just an impromptu singing session going on there in Wait Chapel.”  When I got back inside, I stopped in the entranceway to the sanctuary and looked more closely at the people on the stage. I recognized one of the singers from an interview I’d watched on YouTube the day before. Those folks on the stage were the Anonymous 4, the featured group for that evening’s Secrest Artists Series concert, an annual University concert series. I made an executive personal calendar decision. Coffee in hand, I headed up the stairs to the balcony, sat down (I was the only other person in the chapel), and took a few minutes just to rest in the solitude and the sounds of an internationally renowned group of musicians rehearsing minus technology and microphones. The harmonies were astounding. The moment was blessed. I was reminded. Life at Wake Forest University and the School of Divinity has had for me many blessed moments. This week during the Fall Open House, we will have a chance to welcome prospective students to our campus to learn about our school and programs. These guests will visit classes and join us for chapel and community lunch. Perhaps we can share with them not only important details about our approach to theological education and our vision for shaping religious leaders but also some of our unique experiences of the unexpected gifts of life and learning on this campus.

Learn more about the University’s Secrest Artists Series here. The Anonymous 4, featured in the recent concert, is a female a capella quartet based in New York City. The group is well known for its renditions of a number of religious songs, including “Shall We Gather at the River” and “Wayfaring Stranger.”

Academic News:

Fall Break October 18 – 19
Spring Registration Advising October 29 – November 2
Spring 2013 Registration Begins November 5
Course listings will be available for students to view beginning on October 22.

Reminder:

We are collecting goods for Crisis Control Ministry as an offering during our chapel service this week. Crisis Control Ministry is a grass roots local organization that was begun in 1973 and has over many years provided support of various kinds for people in crisis. A number of Divinity students have served as interns at Crisis Control. We are grateful for the partnership. You can read more about Crisis Control Ministry here

Blessings on the week ahead,

Jill Crainshaw
  Associate Dean for Academic Affairs

View the full “This Week at the School of Divinity” weekly newsletter here.