Later You Will Understand: Love Walks In to Help Understand A Journey

Published: September 20, 2012

One of my favorite passages from the bible comes from John 13, where Jesus washes the disciples feet.  Jesus, a Rabbi and Teacher, could easily have been considered above such a task yet he got on bended knee before his friends and served them.  The foot washing became a symbol of Jesus’ love for his disciples, welcoming them, this last time, in a very personal way.

Have you ever been in a situation where you didn’t understand God’s reasoning? Even Peter didn’t know what to do with himself.  In the story Jesus “came to Simon Peter, who said to him, “Lord, are you going to was my feet?” Jesus answered “You do not realize now what I am doing but later you will understand.”  This verse has meant so much to me over the past year and a half as I prepared for the School of Divinity.  It was on my dorm whiteboard my senior year of undergrad at UNCG and it’s even printed in the front of the Seminary Journal gifted to me this summer before I came to Wake Div.  “You do not realize now what I am doing but later you will understand.”  I think this verse stands as a reminder to us to let go.  It’s Jesus saying “Paul, Perry, Ashton, Sarah, Caitie, Erica, Keith, Ben, Cameron, Analyse…  stop worrying. I’ve got this. You may not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand. I love you so much Trust me.”

As a first year at Wake Div I walked in on the first day full of nerves.  The fact that I’m an introvert didn’t help matters either.  I was worried about classes but I was even more concerned about whether or not I’d fit in, something that has always been a challenge for me growing up.  Friend and Wake Forest alum Brian Russell approached me about attending Wake Div a year ago, telling me that not only is the school in his opinion one of the greatest schools on the planet, but that the community here is second to none.  I put my trust in his word and prayed about whether I should attend school at Wake rather than going to a Lutheran Seminary for about 4 months.  I knew that Wake Div was where God was calling me to go.  I accepted my offer of enrollment and couldn’t be happier with the amazing friends that I’ve made in just 3 short weeks.  The welcoming community, not only with my graduating class, but with the entire Divinity School has been better than I ever could have hoped for.  Jesus answered, “you do not realize now what I am doing but later you will understand.”

Again in the story, “After he had washed their feet, had put on his robe and returned to the table, Jesus said to them, “Do you know what I have done to you? You call me Teacher and Lord—and you are right, for that is what I am.  So if I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet.  For I have set you an example, that you also should do as I have done to you.”  That is why each and every one of us is here at Wake Div., whether it is to eventually become ordained or to serve in another capacity.  Some of you may wonder how it is you are called to serve and Jesus answers,

“You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand.”

Each of us has been called here to prepare for work in ministry, and to eventually leave this place, get on bended knee and wash the feet of each and every person we meet.

Analyse Triolo
First Year MDiv